For those of us not steeped in the world of Business Intelligence and Data Management, the idea of a Data Warehouse with its cubes, dimensions, and other esoteric errata can seem daunting.
Now imagine compounding those errata with the notion of Data Warehouse as a Service and you’ve got yourself a layer cake of complexity.
What is a data warehouse? Why would you want to use the cloud for such a thing? How do you migrate a premises data warehouse into a cloud service? Who else kinda wants cake now?
Let’s grab a slice of data warehousing with my guest Deepak Kaushik, a cloud architect who’s overseen many a migration of on-prem data warehouses to the cloud.
Deepak and I discuss:
- Just what a data warehouse is and what it’s used for
- Storage and security requirements
- Capacity planning and DR/HA issues to consider
- The pros and cons of a data warehouse as a service
- How to prep an on-premises warehouse for migration
- Tips for saving costs