Today’s Day Two Cloud episode is a frank conversation about cloud migration, multicloud, cloud repatriation, and more. If you’re here for rainbows and unicorns, prepare for disappointment. We talk about what’s real, how expensive it can be to move to cloud, why people bring workloads back on premises, and more.
- The cost drivers of cloud repatriation
- Thinking of cloud migration as a brownfield engagement
- The necessity of executive leadership in cloud projects
- How hard it is to quantify an application’s value
- Ingredients for doing multicloud right
- Vetting consultants
- Technology is the easy part. Think People, process, product or people, process, problem. Solve something for someone, don’t just fall in love with cool tech and get lazy.
- Conversations and decisions happen at the application level. Engage solutions and providers that can talk at that level – architecture, change, financials. We talk about wholesale data center moves or transformation but those happen less than tinkering with some old apps or building a few new ones.
- Dream like there is a greenfield but act like there is no godfather (to magically foot the bill). Technical curiosity has to ultimately meet financial common sense, but don’t start there. Start with the dream or the vision then pare it back to the resources you have (which aren’t just money). Folks may be willing to trade insights or references for services even when you don’t have money.
Oh, great people of the cloud, this episode is brought to you by online IT training from sponsor ITPro.TV. And because you, yes you, are so very great, ITPro.TV is offering you a 7-day free trial and 30% savings off of any plan you choose! Visit ITPro.TV/day2cloud and use promo code CLOUD at checkout to exercise your greatness.
Public Cloud Workload Repatriation – CTO Advisor Virtual Conference (via YouTube)