If your idea of the Internet is to draw a generic cloud icon on the whiteboard, this is the episode for you. We all know that the Internet is important, and bandwidth is a big deal. We sort of have a notion that regions matter depending on where our customers are.
But what’s really going on inside of that generic cloud you just drew? Shining some light on the mysterious tubes filled with cat memes is Angelique Medina, Director, Product Marketing at ThousandEyes. ThousandEyes is our sponsor for today’s episode.
ThousandEyes has just released its inaugural Internet Performance Report, which tracks the performance and availability of ISPs, public clouds, CDNs, and DNS across multiple geographical regions. The report measures performance over time and also looks at the current impact of COVID-19 on Internet usage.
In this episode we discuss:
- Essentials of Internet communication including BGP, DNS, and public cloud connectivity
- Key findings from ThousandEyes’ research
- How changes in traffic patterns due to COVID-19 affect network availability
- ISP performance by region
ThousandEyes is hosting a Webinar on August 13th on how the pandemic impacts Internet performance and what it means for your business. You can sign up here.
- Cloud networks demonstrate greater stability and more consistent performance than ISPs
- Not all outages are disruptive to user experience
- Not all ISPs are created equal – performance and stability varies by region and operator
Internet Performance Report: COVID-19 Impact Edition – ThousandEyes
Download the Internet Performance Report – ThousandEyes
Webinar: How the Internet Responded to a Pandemic — and What it Means for Your Business – ThousandEyes
A Tale of Two Internets: Internet Performance Pre and Post COVID-19 – ThousandEyes blog