The “edge” is one of the latest buzzwords to emerge in IT. Like “cloud” before it, edge can mean a lot of things depending on who’s trying to sell you something: a branch office; the base station of a cell tower; an IoT sensor; a cloud or telco outpost of compute, storage, and networking.
On today’s Day Two Cloud we try to get our arms around the edge and what it means for your IT infrastructure, your operations, and your business.
Our guest is Mark Thiele, CEO and founder of Edgevana.
- What “edge” really is and why it’s distinct
- The growth potential and opportunities in edge computing
- Compute, storage, and networking challenges
- Operational issues in deploying and supporting edge infrastructure
- There is an Edge for most every enterprise
- Differentiation with the customer is key and it can come from unusual places
- There isn’t one provider that will solve all you edge requirements and even within the enterprise there is unlikely to be just one deployment/business model for Edge
VMworld takes place September 29th to October 1st as a live, virtual event. You can attend for free! Register now for interesting and informative keynotes, deep-dive technical sessions, and more at VMworld.com.
Started by IPv6 experts who literally wrote the books on IPv6, HexaBuild is the premiere IT training, education, and consulting company. If your projects include cloud, IoT, security, or networking, you’ll need IPv6. HexaBuild is here to help you deploy and manage IPv6 successfully. Find out more at hexabuild.io to learn more.
Edge Industry Review – EdgeIR.com
Linux Foundation Edge – Linux Foundation
@mthiele10 – Mark Thiele on Twitter
Day Two Cloud 030: The Gnarly Challenges Of Edge Computing – Packet Pushers