Why are we talking about shadow IT in 2020? Didn’t we DevOps shadow IT out of the picture? Turns out we didn’t. All the initiatives and process changes that were supposed to eliminate the need for shadow IT didn’t quite work out the way we expected.
Part of the problem is that there are many, many cloud offerings and services that developers and others can go out and sign up for on their own, even if similar services are already provided by their in-house IT counterparts.
Our guest is Christopher Kusek. You can follow him on Twitter at @cxi.
- Contention between traditional IT and developers
- Fixing the IT/Dev relationship
- Finding incentives and common ground
- The role of security, legal, and compliance teams in addressing shadow IT
- DevOps is a journey, not a destination so be sure to set proper expectations in yourself and your business
- Shadow IT works in mysterious ways and can put an organization at risk of heavy liability
- Working without shadow IT is possible!
- You need sponsorship and support from the executive team
- Don’t boil the ocean, small steps and iterate
StrongDM automates access control and auditing across your entire infrastructure. Features include activity and session logs, session replay, and more. Go to strongdm.com/packetpushers to start your free trial today.
Boost your career with online IT training from sponsor ITPro.TV. Now’s a great time because ITPro.TV is offering you a 7-day free trial and 30% savings off of any plan you choose! Visit ITPro.TV/day2cloud and use promo code CLOUD at checkout to exercise your greatness.
Tech Bytes: Riverbed
Stay tuned for a sponsored Tech Bytes conversation with Riverbed on proactive monitoring. We talk about how Riverbed is reinventing network monitoring to support next-generation and hybrid IT environments including early detection, blind spots to be aware of, and managing the complexity of mixed infrastructures. Find out more at www.riverbed.com/day2cloud.
@cxi – Christopher Kusek on Twitter
Why DevOps and Cloud First hasn’t fixed Shadow IT – The Pragmatic Tech