Today’s topic is cloud economics. While you might think cloud economics are about saving money, they may be more about optimizing your spend, which is a different thing. There’s also an argument to be made that, depending on how much you’ve invested in public cloud, you may want to dedicate a human (or more than one) to tracking your cloud bills.
- Reasons why you should analyze your cloud bills
- The difficulties of finding the right person to do it
- OpEx vs. CapEx
- Whether AI or ML can help with cloud cost-management
- Making the case for multi-cloud
- Feature velocity vs. cost optimization
- Is lock-in real?
- Impostor syndrome is real, but no one knows how all of this works.
- Reach out to your provider if you blow something up.
- Figure out what your goals are.
Datadog is a monitoring platform for cloud-scale infrastructure and applications. Datadog provides dashboarding, alerting, application performance monitoring, and log management in one platform. It integrates with AWS, so you can start monitoring EC2, RDS, ECS, and all your other AWS services in minutes. Try it yourself with a free, 14-day trial and get a free Datadog T-shirt! Visit datadog.com/daytwocloud to get started.
Boost your career with online IT training from sponsor ITPro.TV. Now’s a great time because ITPro.TV is offering you a 7-day free trial and 30% savings off of any plan you choose! Visit ITPro.TV/day2cloud and use promo code CLOUD at checkout to exercise your greatness.
Last Week In AWS.com – Corey Quinn
@QuinnyPig – Corey Quinn on Twitter